Wanted: Experienced Organic Vegetable Grower, North America
The company is a modern greenhouse vegetable producer, located in southeastern Canada and has built up a strong reputation with high quality, conventional and organic products such as peppers, cucumbers and leafy crops. The business is traditionally at the forefront concerning sustainable resources, cultivation materials and energy; similarly, a high product-quality and a high technical standard are the company’s outstanding characteristics.
The successful candidate will work in a team and will be responsible for all aspects of growing including climate control, irrigation, pest and disease control and labour and will report to the head grower. He or she must be hands on grower and team player. The candidate should also have leadership and management skills. It’s very important that the candidate has experience in northern climates, and the main tasks related to the position are:
• Working with the production crews while fostering a positive environment of respect and safety for his/her people, our customers and the environment
• Able to work independently and collaboratively, performing multiple-level projects in conjunction with his/her daily activities
• Explaining and demonstrating proper horticulture techniques
• Ensure the crop is healthy and growing optimally
• Ensure greenhouse climate is conducive in relation to weather conditions
• Ensure various aspects of the crop are recorded including plant measurements and trial production
• Work with Head Grower on decisions involving crop inputs, capital expenses and variety selection
• Must be familiar with Priva Office or similar climate control computer
• Must be familiar with PrivAssist or similar labour management software
• Ensure labour is properly planned and co-ordinated
• Assist with the implementation of an Integrated Pest Management program
• Assist with the implementation of a Food Safety Program
• Work with Maintenance to ensure all equipment and facilities are in good working order and capable of functioning as intended
• Apply and mix Organic fertilizers and Bio pesticides as needed
• Participating in the company’s Research and Development projects related to growing and equipment
• Share “on-call” alarm duties.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in Greenhouse Organic or/and Conventional English Cucumber production
• Relevant University qualifications in horticulture (BSc) or equivalent
• 2 years’ experience with the use of PRIVA Climate and Privassist control system or similar
• Must have proven capability/experience in managing/coordinating staff from various cultural backgrounds
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment and with all levels of an organization
• Excellent knowledge of English or French. Some knowledge Spanish will be an asset but not limiting.
• Practical knowledge of MS Office applications
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Able to work in a fast paced environment
• Understanding of key business and cost drivers.
Applying for the Organic Vegetable Grower position
If you are up for this challenge and can identify yourself with the profile mentioned above, we would like to receive your motivation letter and curriculum vitae/ résumé by post or, preferably by email at: [email protected]
Please submit your contact information: